Beef & Portobello Mushroom Pie – A classic comfort food
Beef Cut – Oyster Blade Steak (trimmed and diced)
Prep Time – 5 minutes
Cook Time – 4 hours 20 minutes
Delicious straight out of the oven and even better for lunch the next day. This recipe will serve 6.
- 800g Oyster Blade Steak, trimmed and diced
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1Onion, sliced
- 200g Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
- 1Bay Leaf
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 200g Butter Puff Pastry
- 1Egg, lightly beaten
To Serve, Mashed Potato and Steamed Greens
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place a heavy based casserole over a moderately high heat. Toss the beef in the flour, coat well and shake to remove any excess. Fry the beef in the oil in 2 batches, for 6–8 minutes.
2. Turn the heat down to medium and place all of the meat back into the casserole. Add the onion, mushrooms and bay leaf and stir with the meat for 2 minutes or until the vegetables are lightly coloured. Add the wine and stock and bring up to the boil.
3. Cover and place in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender. If you want the sauce a little thicker you can place it over a high heat to reduce slightly. Add the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large pie dish and allow to cool thoroughly. You can refrigerate for up to 2 days.
4. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Roll the pastry into a piece a little larger than the pie dish. Place over the cooled meat mixture and gently tuck in the sides. Brush with the beaten egg and cut a few slits in the pastry to allow the steam to escape.
5. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Serve with mashed potato and steamed greens.